10 May, 2013

Buying a car in NZ

I need a car to get around, as public transport isn't very good in NZ, especially for the places I will be going.

The first place I looked was the noticeboard in the backpacker hostel. There was an ad for a 1997 Subaru Legacy with 276,000 km for only NZD2,000. Probably by another backpacker who was leaving NZ and wanted to sell his car. "Runs great", or so it claimed. This might be good deal for someone with a budget, and was willing to take a risk on an old clunker. I decided I can afford a slightly better one.

Next, I went to a public auction. The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't understand what the auctioneer was saying. I thought my understanding of English was pretty good, but the auctioneer made no sense. See if you can understand what the auctioneer is saying below:

Auctioneer chant

Give up?

"-this one. Can-I-get-ten-can-I-get-ten-thousand-ten-thousand-*mumbling*-for-this-one." (No bids) "Give me nine thousand. *incoherent mumbling* Give-me-eight-that'd-be-great-that's-a-deal *mumbling* (some one bid 8000), "Eighty two can-we-get-an-eighty-two-can-we-get-an-eighty-four-and-eighty-six" (Three people bid 8200, 8400 and 8600 in quick succession) "Eighty six hundred dollars. Now-we-got-an-eighty-six-now-we-got-an-eighty-six-now-we-got-an-eighty-six *mumbling*. Eight six hundred dollars, that's-gotta-be *incoherent* eighty-seven" (some one bid 8700). "Eighty-seven, now-we-got-an-eighty-seven-now-we-got-an-eighty-seven-now-we-got-an-eighty-seven-and-going *incoherent* Eighty seven hundred this-is-bargain-territory, eighty-seven-hundred. Eighty seven hundred that's-way-too-cheap, now-we-got-an-eighty-seven-now-we-got-an-eighty-seven-taking-one, and eighty-seven-hundred, we'll negotiate, *hits hammer* eighty-seven."

Note: the auctioneer said "we'll negotiate" instead of "sold" at the end, because 8700 did not meet the reserve price for the auction. In that event the auction house will try to negotiate a mutually acceptable price between the seller and the highest bidder.

In addition to being unable to understand the auctioneer, the prices for the good deals were bid up by everybody, which tends to make them not so good deals. I left the auction without a car.

Next, I looked up on TradeMe, the NZ version of eBay. I saw a 1999 Subaru Forester with 113,000km selling for NZD4,000. This is very low mileage for such an old car. I went to the dealer and took a test drive. Car seemed fine. To be safe, I decided to have an independent mechanic inspection.

Report came back with engine oil leak, worn CV joints and water in the spare tire wheel well. Either this car was not well maintained, or the odometer has been tampered with. Odometer tampering was a problem with second hand car in NZ, although it's rarer now because the government has cracked down on it. I decided to look elsewhere.

Went to another dealer, found a car for NZD6000. Mechanic inspection showed some problems, but nothing major (passenger side electric window not working). Bargained down to 5500, and bought the car. So what car did I buy for NZD5500?

A 1999 Nissan Cefiro station wagon with 184,000km on it. Was this a good deal, or did I get a piece of junk? I'm still not sure. We will know for sure when this car breaks down. :-P


3 comments:

  1. finally....well, just use it for now till you get a permanent job and get a better one when you decided to settle down some where some place....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can sleep in the car too since it's a station wagon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleeping in the car, also known as "freedom camping", is now prohibited in NZ unless it is done at a designated campsite. Unfortunately, too many people abused it in the past, and irresponsible campers leave garbage and even answer nature's call beside the road.

      Delete